Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Fitting into the bishop's suits

I am below 300 # for the first time in a long time (May 2016, for Grandma Nelson's funeral). I've lost about 24 pounds while also putting on some muscle.  I resumed more lifting when Bianca came to live us at the end of March, as she was so into Sports.  I really hurt my side in May (going to Disneyland roller coasters made it worse). In June when summer started, I started mixing in more RP Sportscenter weightlifting.  I started taking her at least 2x a week in the morning, so she could practice basketball.  When I got the call to be bishop of our ward on the evening of June 27, I then began watching what I ate, and have gone down 17 # since then. I had to fit into my two suits, which I had not worn since May 2016.

My left shoulder pain in some areas healed well from the Sept. 29, 2017 rotator cuff surgery.  But in other places where he shaved the tissue, it is still weaker than it was, despite almost 2 years of doing the therapy exercises.  

So working out has been tricky because I have been trying to increase my muscle mass.  When the Smiths were here, I did bench press with Trevor and could easily rep 185#, but my side and back spasms were terrible, so I switched to the Rockit Chest Press and did 5 reps of 225# and then 3 reps of 245# as my final set and was happy, despite the painful spasms.

I've had three massages since, and had an ultrasound on my left side as my chiropractor was concerned it could be swollen gall bladder or liver or kidney.  The liver did show signs of fatty liver disease (already knew that), and the kidney had two small cysts (apparently normal?), but the gall bladder was fine.

I figured out the exercise causing the problem about 15 days ago.  I was doing really light weight (started with 5, and then 8# dumbbell, on a foam roller) lat pullovers.  Well, my lats and connective tissue (subscapularis, and then obliques) would just get sore, sorer, and progress to spams.  I've been using our family's TENS device the past week as well as the usual stretching it, and got a deep armpit digging massage last Thursday, and I need another soon.

I can do lat pulldowns without pain, but getting up from the ground, rolling over, anything triggering the core/obliques is what puts me into strobe light movement from the spasms.  
 
Anyway, last night on the Chest Press, my shoulder only hurt about half as much as normal. I did:
1x12 @205#
1x8 @225#
1x6@245#
1x6@265#
1x2@285#
1x1@285#

and was quite happy until I tired out at the 285#.  Whenever I can get the spams to stop, I'd like to resume doing the bench press.  In the meantime, my suits fit, but I'd like another 5-10 lbs loss in the gut before they will feel comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment